Are Momusu/H!P or AKB coming back this year?
Probably NO. [blog quote]
If I may:
The Summer of Idols Encore is ON. It’s SO on, people.
But at the same time, I still honestly believe:
“Will there ever be another Summer of Idols? Maybe, but it will never be like the one in 2009.”
2009 was magical in ways that few things are ever magical. You never forget your first time. There were some good points, there were some bad points, but it was still filled with memories I will never forget. Now comes a chance, however, to build further upon those memories: to see if the spirit of awesome can strike once again in Los Angeles as it did in New York.
Sequels that surpassed the original:
Assassin’s Creed 2
the 2nd season of Chuck
Rachmaninov’s 2nd Piano Concerto
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (AND ALL YOU ASSHATS WHO THINK THE 2ND HP BOOK SUCKS CAN GTFO)
Airi Suzuki’s 2nd photobook
The Summer of Idols Encore…?
The question, of course, is how did they do it? How on earth did they do it?
At this point even I don’t know. There are known knowns, there are known unknowns, there are things we don’t know if we know, and all I know is there was one guy last year who wanted to get AKB to AX but everyone else was like let’s have Morning Musume instead because they’ve been around tons longer. But how did the discussion lead to getting the Best Thing To Ever Come Out Of Akihabara to visit Los Angeles this year? I can hazard a few guesses at how the sequence went:
- AKB48 hits Japan Expo (in Paris), Summer 2009, is met with reasonable success.
- Morning Musume hits Anime Expo (in L.A.), Summer 2009, is met with reasonable success.
- AKB48 hits New York Anime Festival, Fall 2009, is met with reasonable success.
(We’ll skip over whatever the hell happened at Cannes.)
- AX management, over the winter, realizes that the J-idol fandom is an untapped market that is clamoring to see “their girls” on Western soil.
- Yasushi Akimoto, meanwhile, is still trying to push his worldwide domination thing (even though some of his ideas are just plain kooky).
- AKB management, over the winter, realizes that for this domination plan to continue, they will have to hit another cycle of conventions in 2010. Based on the reasonable success of the Paris and New York events, they target the SINGLE BIGGEST J-CULTURE CONVENTION IN AMERICA. (Also since they had to cancel the Thailand thing lololololol)
- AX management, catching word of AKB management’s intentions, agrees that this would be a Good Thing since the most popular current idol group in Japonia would be a surefire way to reach into that untapped market.
- AKB48 becomes an Anime Expo 2010 Guest of Honor.
- H!P management, having blown everything on sending Berryz Koubou to Thailand this year, can’t afford plane tickets + room + board for another entire unit so they’re like, F it, we’ll just send our lone soloist abroad this year.
Added note for the stupid ass wotas who still don’t get it:
STOP WAITING FOR ANIME EXPO TO ANNOUNCE ERINA MANO. ANIME EXPO IS NOT GOING TO ANNOUNCE ERINA MANO BECAUSE SHE IS NOT BEING HOSTED BY AX. SHE IS AN INDUSTRY GUEST THAT IS BEING HOSTED BY AN ORGANIZATION THAT WILL BE AT ANIME EXPO (probably JapanFiles). The Matrix has already confirmed that Mano will be at AX but if you’re still waiting for the “official AX announcement” you will be waiting for a long long time my friend.
And yes this means that some of the stuff I wrote in my other post was wrong … ish.
Although I should have realized that JapanFiles was really acting as the H!P/AX liaison even though MM was AX’s guest in 2009.
And am I attending AX this year to see MY WIFE again?
You bet your ass I am.
Am I going to try to b0rk the system again so I can have my selfish fanboy way?
Am I going to equip my full-out Vocaloid cosplay?
Am I going to bring my electric violin with me and serenade the crowds with AKB songs in hopes that the girls might run into me while doing their hall-roaming photo ops?
What do YOU think, Mr. or Mrs. Smart Person?
It’s the freaking Summer of Idols Encore!!
I am going to do EVERYTHING!
And this time I promise to tell Minami Minegishi I love her.